When was the last time you had a first time?

/\ Cath Kidston ticket holder
(I couldn't find it on their website but here are some alternatives)

Last weekend, I went to spend the weekend with my closest chummy Kate. She had recently moved to her new digs and I was yet to see it.




My train arrived in London at 9:30pm on Friday evening. Later time than I would usually get but it worked out cheaper. About 5 minutes into my journey I realised I left my headphones at home. Not good. After a 2 hour journey (listening to other peoples conversations), I topped up my Oyster Card then made my way to her place. I hadn't eaten dinner so she made me a chorizo avocado salad and we chatted until two in the morning. Not so good when you have a full day the next day.

In the morning, Kate made me poached eggs on toast and a side garnish of spinach, chorizo and tomatoes for breakfast. I was so famished I forgot to take a picture but let me tell you it was amazing. Mad props to hostess Kate.


/\ Fireplace owl





The first thing we did was head to Notting Hill to scope out a bike shop for my chummy because she will be doing her first triathlon soon. She got to test ride the one she wanted and I felt like such a proud mama. The trip turned out to be a success.  

We got a bit peckish, so from there we went for lunch at Charlie's Portobello Road Cafe. I had the chargrilled balsamic marinated vegetables & humous sandwich and a lemonade. 






After devouring my lunch, we walked around Portobella Market. I hadn't been for years so to me everything was new to explore. The first thing I noticed was how busy and crowded it was (it was a Saturday). Everyone from all over seemed to want to be part of the Portobella experience that day. Crowds don't usually bother me but they did that day. It was pretty overwhelming to take everything in so unfortunately I didn't buy anything. To me the market is just like Camden but with more antique shops.  








/\ The famous Electric Cinema












/\ Live entertainment

That weekend was Chinese New Year so in honor we decided to go to the one place that would showcase the celebration.....China Town. Crowds were also in force. The lanterns were out, the shops were open and people queued for miles to eat in Chinese restaurants.











We even attempted to queue for a place to eat but we gave up after 5 minutes. We walked around Trafalgar Square instead to find somewhere else. As you can see, the place was lit up and people were in preparation mode for the Chinese New Year celebrations the next day.







For dinner, the mass crowds and queues to every Chinese restaurant led us to a cute Korean place called BiBimBap in Soho (recommended by Kate). I have never tried Korean food before so I was excited. On the walls they had Polaroids of past customers placed to spell out the restaurant's name. Very clever I thought.


/\ I had the Seafood Pancake and the Mushroom BiBimBap

After dinner, we decided to head back to Ealing where we had a few drinks at the local pub and chit chatted the night away.

The next day was leaving day. A sad day I must add. Due to cheaper train fares I booked an earlier train then usual so we got up early and had breakfast at a local cafe. After saying our goodbyes, I headed towards the train station to take the almost 3 hour journey back home. At this point I went in search for headphones. I settled on some blue ones from WH Smith.


/\ my avocado, mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes croissant

/\ watching Man of Steel on my Kindle kept me entertained


Until next time London.

Side note: the title of this post was taken from a York advert displayed in the Underground. This lead to a full blown conversation and my conclusion was trying Korean food for the first time. Mission accomplished.

:-)

Comments

Popular Posts